Among the Nation's Leading Research Institutions
Penn Medicine and The Perelman School of Medicine are among the nation's leading research institutions. In fact, we rank in the top 5% in the nation among academic medical centers for research awards granted. This allows us to be at the forefront of the latest medical breakthroughs — translating scientific and clinical trial discoveries to transform patient care.
A clinical trial is a research study involving patient volunteers that are conducted to find safe and effective treatments for a variety of health conditions. They are critical to the advancement of medicine and improving patient health.
Participating in clinical trials offers patients the opportunity to try new and effective treatments that could potentially improve their condition while taking part in vital research that can benefit many future patients.
There are many resources for information about Penn Medicine clinical trials. Each of our research centers has a different focus:
- Abramson Cancer Center - Conducts clinical trials that help to prevent, diagnose, detect, and treat a variety of cancers.
- Basser Research Center for BRCA - Clinical trials focus solely on the prevention and treatment of cancers that are associated with the genetically inheritable BRCA mutations, including basic science research on the BRCA1 and BRCA2 genes.
- Behavioral Sleep Medicine - Offers clinical trials that focus on the treatment of sleep disorders such as insomnia.
- Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology - Conducts clinical trials that focus on women’s reproductive health, contraception, infertility, gynecologic oncology, urogynecology, and obstetrics.
- Institute for Translational Medicine and Therapeutics (ITMAT) - ITMAT supports and promotes research for newer and more effective medications and leading edge clinical care. ITMAT encompasses Penn research centers and educational programs that support clinical and translational research.
- Penn Cardiovascular Institute - Offers clinical trials and innovative treatments for patients with cardiovascular conditions such as heart disease.
If you have any additional questions about clinical trials at Penn Medicine, please contact:
The Perelman School of Medicine which is the medical school for Penn Medicine has a wide array of research laboratories staffed by faculty and staff who are passionate about alleviating suffering caused by disease. The research laboratories include:
- Abramson Cancer Center
- Basser Research Center for BRCA
- Behavioral Sleep Medicine
- Brain Behavior Laboratory
- Center for Community-Based Research and Health Disparities
- Center on the Continuum of Care in the Addictions
- Center for Interdisciplinary Research on Nicotine Addiction
- Center for Mental Health Policy and Services Research
- Center for Molecular Studies in Digestive and Liver Disease
- Center for Neurobiology and Behavior
- Center for the Prevention of Suicide
- Center for Psychotherapy Research
- Center for Research in Reproduction and Women's Health
- Center for Sleep and Respiratory Neurobiology
- Center for Studies of Addiction/Treatment Research Center
- Center for the Treatment and Study of Anxiety
- Center for Weight and Eating Disorders
- Child and Adolescent OCD, Tic, Trich & Anxiety Group
- Computational Biology & Informatics Lab (CBIL)
- Delaware Valley Node
- Depression Research Unit
- Electron Microscopy
- Genetic Diagnostic Laboratory
- Geriatric Psychiatry Section
- Harrison Department of Surgical Research
- HIV/AIDS Prevention Research Division
- Institute for Diabetes, Obesity and Metabolism
- Institute for Environmental Medicine
- Leonard Davis Institute of Health Economics
- McKay Orthopaedic Research Laboratory
- Mood and Anxiety Disorders Program
- Penn Cardiovascular Institute
- Penn Center for Musculoskeletal Disorders
- Penn Center for Women's Behavioral Wellness
- Penn Memory Center
- Translational Neuroscience Program
- Unit for Experimental Psychiatry
- Vision Research Center
Need an appointment? Request one online 24 hours/day, 7 days/week or call 800-789-PENN (7366) to speak to a referral counselor.