Events and Accolades
- Penn's Infectious Diseases MacGregor Outpatient Clinic earned Penn Medicine's 2015 CPUP Quality and Patient Safety Award for
Use of an Enhanced Multidisciplinary Medication Adherence and Safety Program to Improve HIV Virologic Suppression and
Reduce HIV Transmission Risk. The group was honored at the Health System Awards Ceremony in February, 2016.
- Emily Blumberg, MD has been selected as a new member of the Penn Academy of Master Clinicians.
This selection recognizes “…those exceptional clinicians who consistently exemplify the highest standards of clinical care, humanism and professionalism”. December 2015.
- Baligh Yehia, MD, MSHP, MPP has been named the 2015-2016 recipient of the Walter J. McDonald Award for Early Career Physicians from the American College of Physicians (ACP). Read more...
- Vincent Lo Re III, MD, MSCE has been appointed to the Institute of Medicine (IOM) Committee for a National Strategy for the Elimination of Hepatitis B and C, November 2015.
- Charitha Gowda, MD, MPH receives the CROI Young Investigator Award, November 2015.
- Matt Culyba, MD PhD has been selected as a Department of Medicine Measey Senior Research Fellow, effective July 1, 2015. This is a highly competitive award aimed at physician-scientists at the fellow level who are committed to a lab-based research career.
- Anne H. Norris, MD has been promoted to Associate Professor of Clinical Medicine in the Associated Faculty of the Perelman School of Medicine, effective July 1, 2015.
- Vincent Lo Re III, MD, MSCE has been elected to a 3-year term on the Board of Directors of the International Society for Pharmacoepidemiology (May 2015).
- Katharine J. Bar, MD received the Holmes Award for Basic Research by an Early Career Faculty member (May 2015).
- Pablo Tebas, MD is recognized as part of the University of Pennsylvania team receiving the prestigious Clinical Research Achievement Award for personalized gene therapy work in HIV. See article here: http://www.uphs.upenn.edu/news/News_Releases/2015/04/june2/
- Karam C. Mounzer, MD is recognized as the "Practitioner of the Year" by the Philadelphia County Medical Society/Pennsylvania Medical Society, April 2015.
- Keith Hamilton, MD has been selected by the graduating class to receive the 2015 Medical Student Government Clinical Teaching Award. Each year the graduating class honors one clinician and one basic scientist in recognition of their excellence in teaching (April 2015).
- In March 2015, Jonathan Nunez, MD was selected as the 2015 recipient of the annual Vanitha Appadorai Vaidya, MD Award for Humaneness in Medicine, per The Philadelphia County Medical Society.
- On March 19, 2015, Phillip Green, MD was honored as the 2015 Philadelphia VA Medical Center Doctor of the Year.
- Baligh Yehia, MD, MSHP, MPP has been appointed by the White House to serve as Senior Advisor on Healthcare to the Secretary of the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). In this role, he will serve as the principal health advisor to the Secretary, helping shape policy that will impact the largest integrated healthcare system in the country. In addition, he will work closely with the White House, Department of Health and Human Services, Department of Defense, and other agencies on issues related to the health of veterans and their families. This is his second year in this Presidential appointment.
- Ramin S. Herati, MD, has been appointed Instructor A in Medicine, effective February 1, 2015.
- Keith Hamilton, MD, director of the Antimicrobial Stewardship Program of HUP, contributed to the Penn Medicine News Blog: Antibiotic Resistance: The Med, Vet Connection in January 2015: http://news.pennmedicine.org/blog/2015/01/antibiotic-resistance-the-med-vet-connection.html
- Keith Hamilton, MD has been selected as this year's AOA faculty inductee. This award recognizes the highest standards of professionalism and commitment to high quality health care.
- Ian Frank, MD
was honored and became the Chairperson of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID) AIDS Research Review Committee.
- Stephen J. Gluckman, MD has been announced as one of the new members of The Academy of Master Clinicians in November 2014. This membership recognizes Penn Medicine clinicians who exemplify the highest standards of clinical excellence, humanism and professionalism. Election to
The Academy of Master Clinicians is the highest clinical honor to be bestowed on a Penn physician.
- Ebbing Lautenbach, MD, MPH, MSCE is named a Fellow, College of Physicians of Philadelphia, October 2014.
- Laura Bamford, MD, MSCE received the Penn McCabe Fund pilot award for her work proposing to assess the use of the quadrivalent HPV vaccine as treatment for condyloma acuminatum, July 2014.
- David Holtzman, MD and Ramin S. Herati, MD both tied as recipients of the Robert Austrian Outstanding Fellow Award, June 2014.
- Stephen J. Gluckman, MD receives the Faculty Teaching Award, June 2014.
- Havey Rubin, MD is featured in Philadelphia Inquirer article, May 25, 2014 "A lifesaving chain, from Hollywood to Phila." http://articles.philly.com/2014-05-25/news/50085669_1_cold-chain-sean-penn-haiti
- Katherine J. Bar, MD, has been appointed as Assistant Professor of Medicine (tenure track) effective July 1, 2014.
- Jennifer H. Han, MD, MSCE has been appointed as an Assistant Professor of Medicine (CE track) effective July 1, 2014.
- Ramin S. Herati, MD, has been selected as a Department of Medicine Measy Senior Research Fellow, effective July 1, 2014. This highly competitive award is aimed at fellow level physician-scientists who are committed to lab-based research, providing support to promising senior fellows during the period of transition from research fellow to faculty member.
- Emily Blumberg, MD was awarded Top Doctor, Philadelphia Magazine, May 2014
- Penn Fecal Microbiota Transplant Program in the news. Philadelphia Inquirer, April 7, 2014: http://articles.philly.com/2014-04-07/news/48912146_1_antibiotics-fmt-infection
- Pablo Tebas, MD, is the lead author of the March 12, 2014 New England Journal of Medicine paper entitled: "Gene Editing of CCR5 in Autologous CD4 T Cells of Persons Infected with HIV": http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa1300662
- Baligh Yehia, MD, MSHP, MPP, director of the Penn Medicine Program for LGBT Health, gives insight on the program and its launch: http://www.uphs.upenn.edu/news/News_Releases/2014/02/yehia/
- Judith A. O'Donnell, MD and Richard Maniglia, MD were among the PPMC winners of the UPHS Quality and Patient Safety Award in January 2014.
- Stephen J. Gluckman, MD has been recognized in 2014 by the Gold Humanism Honor Society, which was established by the the Arnold P. Gold Foundation (APGF) as a signature program to recognize medical faculty who practice
patient-centered care by modeling the qualities of integrity, excellence,
compassion, altruism, respect and empathy.
- Keith Hamilton, MD, is one of the winners of the Penn Medicine Innovation Grant; Project Title: Generation of near real-time antibiograms leveraging the Penn Data Store (PDS).
- Jody Gilmore MSN, CRNP, a nurse practitioner in PPMC's Infectious Diseases Practice/Viral Hepatitis Center, is honored by the Association of Nurses in AIDS Care (ANAC) as the 2012 recipient of the ANAC Joanne Ruiz Achievement Award for Excellence in Clinical Practice in HIV Care. This award is given to outstanding nurse clinicians who are recognized for their knowledge and skill in caring for people with HIV and their families, and are a source of pride to self, peer, patients, and colleagues. According to ANAC leadership, this award is given to "the nurse you would most want to care for your loved ones." Jody was honored at ANAC's annual conference in Arizona in November.
- Janet Hines, MD is the recipient of one of the MS2 Pre-Clinical Teaching Awards for her outstanding work directing the Microbiology/Infectious Diseases course 2012-2013.
- Janet Hines, MD also received a patient gift to investigate the role that the stigma of HIV has on the quality of life of people affected thus far.
- Jennifer Han, MD, MSCE is the recipient of the Robert Austrian Outstanding Fellow Award.
- Keith Hamilton, MD is the recipient of the Outstanding Clinical Teaching Award.
Gregory P. Bisson, MD, MSCE is the recipient of the Marjorie A. Bowman New Investigator Award, a Penn Medicine Award of Excellence
- Vincent Lo Re, MD MSCE is the recipient of the Leonard Berwick Memorial Teaching Award
Stuart Isaacs, MD is appointed Associate Dean for Animal Research, Perelman School of Medicine 2013
Katharine J. Bar, MD received the Young Faculty Investigator Award, Center for HIV/AIDS Vaccine Immunology-Immunogen Design
- Anne H. Norris, MD received the UPHS Quality and Safety Awards: Increasing Patient Confidence in Taking Medications by Improving the Medication Reconciliation Process in the Home.
- Darren Linkin, MD, MSCE is the recipient of the Clinical Teaching Award.
- Drs. Stacey Trooskin, MD and Baligh Yehia, MD, MSHP, MPP are the recipients of the Austrian Award for Outstanding Fellow.
- Janet Hines, MD is the recipient of the Clinical Teaching Award.
- Keith Hamilton, MD is the recipient of the Austrian Award.
- Ingi Lee, MD is the recipient of the Austrian Award.
- Todd Barton, MD is the recipient of the Clinical Teaching Award.