- Provide educational opportunities that will nurture and train health professionals who want to focus their careers on addressing health disparities domestically or globally.
- Promote physician advocacy and service through working with our community and global partners to improve health care and medical education in our partner sites.
“The global health track was by far the best part of my residency training. It allowed me a great breadth of clinical experiences that I otherwise never would have had. Residency can be tough, but through opportunities given to me through the global health track (whether a patient, a lecture, or a meeting in Kenya), I was reminded, this is why I went into medicine!”
–Kimberly Ganster, MD
Major elements in the track are:
- global rotations at partner sites or the Indian Health Service
- continuity clinics in Philadelphia for medically underserved populations
- a 2 week intensive seminar program in PGY2 year
- on-line curriculum on relevant topics
- speakers and discussions over potlucks, reports and social events
- a scholarly project pertinent to global or community health
Each resident will be able to spend 4 weeks abroad in the PGY2 year and 4 weeks in their PGY3 year. The goal is to engage in long-term relationship building; residents are expected to work with one site for both years. Currently, the GHE track is working with sites in:
- Dominican Republic (Medicine/Pediatrics)
- Indian Health Service
“The Global Health Track provided my first real exposure to service, policy, & advocacy in the global setting. These are experiences that are often hard to come by in traditional programs, and the insight I gained will be invaluable in my future work.”
–Gayani Tillekeratne, MD
Community-Based Continuity Clinics
In addition to the residents' primary continuity clinic, GHT track residents work in a second continuity clinic site focused on issues of community health and immigrant health. Sites include:
- Prevention Point Street-Side Health Project
- Philadelphia County Prison Health
- Jonathan Lax Center/Philadelphia FIGHT
- Puentes de Salud
- Refugee Clinic
Applying to the Global Health Track
The Global Health Equities Track is a program of both the Categorical and Primary Care and combined Med-Peds residency programs. Interns in any of these programs can apply for the track during the fall/winter of their intern year.
For More Information...
Specific inquiries about the Global Health Equities program can be addressed to:
Carol McLaughlin M.D., MPH, MSCE