The Department of Medicine at Penn is the oldest in the country, with origins dating back to 1765 when John Morgan, M.D. assumed leadership as the first department chair in the first medical school in the original thirteen colonies. In the almost 250 years since it was established, the department has been served by 23 Chairs.
The Department of Medicine, the largest clinical department in the University of Pennsylvania Health System and the largest academic department in the University of Pennsylvania Perelman School of Medicine, is comprised of 12 divisions with over 500 full-time faculty, over 200 associated faculty, and over 300 academic support staff. The Department of Medicine has a long history of training the future leaders in American medicine, and the highly competitive training programs include 166 residents and 157 subspecialty fellows. During the last fiscal year, outpatient encounters totaled over 430,000 and inpatient admissions were more than 25,000. The most recent NIH Report, ranks the Department of Medicine at Penn #3 in funding amongst all departments of medicine in U.S. medical schools, with a total of $110,414,117 in grant support. This large clinical, research, and education enterprise is supported by over 1200 non-faculty personnel. Major hospital sites include the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, Penn-Presbyterian Medical Center, Pennsylvania Hospital, and the Veterans Affairs Medical Center - all institutions of great distinction and diversity.
Rich in tradition, uncompromisingly committed to excellence in academic medicine, and endowed with gifted and dedicated faculty and trainees, Pennís Department of Medicine is well-positioned to lead academic medicine into the 21st century.