- October 31, 2011
Region's First Bilateral Hand Transplant Performed at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania
Penn Medicine Surgeons Team, with Gift of Life, Extends Frontier of Life-Enhancing Surgery
For the first time in the Delaware Valley Region, a patient has undergone a complex and intricate transplant procedure that could significantly enhance the quality-of-life for persons with multiple limb loss.
Last month, a highly-skilled, specially-trained team from the newly established Penn Hand Transplant Program at the Penn Transplant Institute performed its first bilateral hand transplant. Working closely with its partner, Gift of Life Donor Program, a team of 30 members – 12 surgeons, three anesthesiologists and 15 nurses – performed the 11-and-a-half hour double transplant procedure – a Vascularized Composite Allotransplantation – that involved experts in solid organ transplantation, orthopaedic surgery, plastic surgery, reconstructive microsurgery and anesthesia.
Details of this history-making procedure will be forthcoming a press conference to be held at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania.
Tuesday, November 1, 2011
The Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania
Ravdin Building, Ground Floor
34th & Spruce Streets
Philadelphia, PA 19104
Media should enter the Main Entrance of HUP on 34th Street
Once inside the Main Ravdin Lobby make a right
Theatre down the hall on the right
L. Scott Levin, MD, FACS.
Director, Penn Hand Transplant Program
Chair, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery
Paul B. Magnuson Professor of Bone and Joint Surgery
Professor of Surgery, Division of Plastic Surgery
Benjamin Chang, MD
Co-director, Penn Hand Transplant
Program Director and Associate Chief, Division of Plastic Surgery
Associate Professor of Clinical Surgery
Richard D. Hasz
Vice President, Clinical Services
Gift of Life Donor Program
Abraham Shaked, MD, PhD
Director, Penn Transplant Institute
Vice Chair, department of Surgery
Eldridge L. Eliason Professor of Surgery
Arthur L. Caplan, PhD (Via Prerecorded Interview)
Director, Center for Bioethics
Professor, Medical Ethics
Penn Medicine is one of the world's leading academic medical centers, dedicated to the related missions of medical education, biomedical research, and excellence in patient care. Penn Medicine consists of the Raymond and Ruth Perelman School of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania (founded in 1765 as the nation's first medical school) and the University of Pennsylvania Health System, which together form a $4.3 billion enterprise.
The Perelman School of Medicine has been ranked among the top five medical schools in the United States for the past 17 years, according to U.S. News & World Report's survey of research-oriented medical schools. The School is consistently among the nation's top recipients of funding from the National Institutes of Health, with $392 million awarded in the 2013 fiscal year.
The University of Pennsylvania Health System's patient care facilities include: The Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania -- recognized as one of the nation's top "Honor Roll" hospitals by U.S. News & World Report; Penn Presbyterian Medical Center; Chester County Hospital; Lancaster General Health; Penn Wissahickon Hospice; and Pennsylvania Hospital -- the nation's first hospital, founded in 1751. Additional affiliated inpatient care facilities and services throughout the Philadelphia region include Chestnut Hill Hospital and Good Shepherd Penn Partners, a partnership between Good Shepherd Rehabilitation Network and Penn Medicine.
Penn Medicine is committed to improving lives and health through a variety of community-based programs and activities. In fiscal year 2013, Penn Medicine provided $814 million to benefit our community.