Department of Obstetrics & Gynecology

Obstetrics & Gynecology Home >

Obstetrics & Gynecology

Women's Reproductive Health Research (WRHR)

Deborah A. Driscoll, MD

Deborah A. Driscoll, MD
Principal Investigator

Michal Elovitz, MD

Michal Elovitz, MD
Research Director

Christos Coutifaris, MD, PhD

Christos Coutifaris, MD, PhD
Director of Recruitment

University of Pennsylvania Health System
Dr. Christos Coutifaris
Division of Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility
Suite 800
3701 Market Street
Philadelphia, Pa 19104

Telephone Numbers:

Research Office:

Fellowship Office:

The goal of Penn’s Women’s Reproductive Health Research (WRHR) program is to support the career development of obstetrician-gynecologists in academic medicine by providing an opportunity to receive outstanding research training with a senior investigator-mentor. Training opportunities are available in the basic sciences, translational or clinical investigation in a variety of fields including gamete biology, imprinting, preterm birth, maternal fetal health and development, and gynecologic oncology. 

Scholars are required to spend at least 75% of their effort to their research program for the duration of the award. The duration is from two to five years depending on the scholar’s previous experience, goals and funding support. The remaining 25% may be spent in clinical, teaching or other research activities.  Where applicable, scholars may choose to complete relevant courses.  Each scholar is assigned research and office space in their mentor’s lab or clinical research unit. Scholars are expected to attend an annual retreat and encouraged to present their work.  The principal investigator, program director and the mentor are responsible for mentoring and monitoring the scholar’s academic progress and assisting with future grant applications and the transition to independent funding. Scholars are also encouraged to take advantage of the School of Medicine’s mentoring and career development programs in addition to the Center for Research on Reproduction and Women’s Health seminar series.

The Women's Reproductive Health Research Career Development Centers Program is funded by National Institute of Child Health and Human Development (NICHD).


  • MD or DO degree
  • Completed postgraduate residency training in OB/GYN
  • May have completed a postdoctral fellowship
  • Must be able to spend at least 75% of full-time effort conducting research
  • May not have served as a PI on an NIH research project (R01), Mentored Research Scientist Development Award (K01), Mentored Clinical Scientist Development Award (K08) or their equivalant, a subproject of a program project (P01) or center grant (P50, U54), or equivalent PHS research grant awards
  • Must be a US citizen or noncitizen national, or a permanent residence and possess an Alien Registration Receipt Card

Application Process

Interested candidates should contact the Program Director or Principal Investigator and will be required to submit the following:

  • Curriculum vitae or biosketch
  • Description of the proposed research
  • Name of mentor and his/her research focus

Current Scholars

FY18 Scholars

Past Scholars