Section I, Series
10. Pennsylvania Hospital Nursing Collection, 1876-1995.
World War I, U.S Base Hospital No. 10, Le Treport,
France, 1857 -1985 (MG 3.11, Boxes 1-13)
During World War I, the federal government’s Department
of Military Relief formed a number of Red Cross Base Hospitals
in Europe. Each participating hospital was asked to raise
funds to equip a 500 bed facility and provide trained staff.
In 1917, Pennsylvania Hospital established U.S. Hospital Base
No. 10, attached to the British Expeditionary Force in Le
Treport, France. A history of this unit is detailed in the
book History of the Pennsylvania Hospital Unit in the
Great War by Paul Hoeber (1921). The wide assortment
of logbooks, letters, photographs, personal papers and mementos
provide additional insight into the work and lives of the
Pennsylvania Hospital nurses who volunteered for duty.
- Box 1 contains logs of daily nursing activities from 1917-1919.
- Box 2 contains a nurse's diary, which records the details
of daily life at Base Hospital No. 10. The papers of Eva
Gerhard Hart, assistant chief nurse, include photographs,
her military ID tags and a diary. Reminiscences of other
Hospital Base personnel are also included.
- Boxes 3 and 4 contain papers, news clippings, photographs,
mementos and correspondence of Helen Grace McClelland. Mementos
include a small piece of shrapnel and the remains of the
WWI helmet and bloodstained handkerchief worn by Miss McClelland.
- Box 5 contains correspondence from McClelland to her family
in Ohio. The letters date from Dec.1915, and continue between
February 1917 and February 1919.
- Box 6 contains an album of postcards and photographs of
the American Ambulance Hospital, Paris, Neuilly-sur-Seine,
December 1915-July 1916.
- Box 7 contains a similar album from U.S. Hospital Base
No. 10 in Le Treport.
- Box 8 houses the photographs from four albums that document
numerous views Base No. 10, its surroundings and the activities
of its medical staff.
- Boxes 9-11 contain materials collected by Anna Dean Murphy,
including numerous photographs and a WWI helmet.
- Boxes 12 and 13 contain artifacts, which include a blood
pressure gauge, bookends, a silk American flag, and a medicine
Back to Nursing Collection