Five blocks west of the Pennsylvania Hospital for the Insane,
a twin version of the mental hospital is opened at 49th and Market
Streets. The original campus becomes The Department for Females,
and the newer campus is The Department for Males.
Pennsylvania Hospital's surgical expertise brings 124 casualties
to its wards for special treatment during the Civil
War. As in the American Revolution, the hospital experiences
the severe economic consequences of war which leave most of the
city's leading charitable institutions inadequately funded.
The hospital's first
training program for nurses is proposed and developed. A
formal one year course of instruction is offered and includes
students from the Women's Hospital of Philadelphia from 1879
to 1882. In 1883, an independent school is established and the
first class of four students is graduated in 1884. Three 1885
graduates achieve a first - they are assigned to the Men's Medical
Ward. Because of the outstanding work of these three, hereafter
trained women nurses are employed on all medical wards, male
and female. The class of 1893 is the first to receive class pins,
the design of which incorporates the seal of the Good Samaritan.
Close to 300 soldiers are admitted to the hospital, wounded
in the Spanish American War.
Some of them are transported from distant ports of entry on special
Red Cross trains manned by Pennsylvania Hospital staff.
Continue to 1901-1950