The Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania (HUP) is a specialty-oriented tertiary care referral center with annual admissions exceeding 35,000. HUP is committed to the mission of high quality patient care, education and research. Founded in 1874 as the first bedside teaching hospital in the United States, it is the primary teaching hospital for the physically adjacent Perelman School of Medicine. Owned by the University of Pennsylvania, HUP has over 800 beds and is comprised of 16 contiguous buildings which include new operating room suites. Medical care is provided by over 1,100 housestaff in and 1,900 members of the Perelman School of Medicine faculty.
The Ruth and Raymond Perelman Center for Advanced Medicine is a state-of-the-art,500,000 square foot outpatientfacility located on the corner of 34th Street and Civic Center Boulevard, adjacent to the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania. The Perelman Center – a $302 million facility and the largest capital project undertaken in the history of the University of Pennsylvania Health System – was designed to create an ideal environment for patient-focused care and collaboration among health professionals. The Perelman Center is home to Penn Medicine's Abramson Cancer Center, radiation oncology, cardiovascular medicine and an outpatient surgical pavilion.