Policies and Procedures Manual
Resident Roles and Responsibilities Policy
- The resident will have the following role and responsibilities related to patient care:
- Perform complete history and physical examinations on all new inpatients and outpatients for whom they have primary responsibility.
- Examine all data related to the management of patients they have evaluated.
- Synthesize all available information to generate differential diagnoses and subsequent diagnostic and therapeutic plans.
- Communicate the synthesis of the above information in both an oral and written format to their supervising faculty members according to the UPHS and Divisional Supervision Policies.
- Be responsible for the follow-up of all tests and procedures ordered for patients under their care.
- Perform procedures, as specified, under supervision of appropriate faculty member(s).
- Perform adequate documentation of all patient encounters including admissions, history and physicals, progress notes, discharge summaries, and operative reports.
- Participate in educational conferences as designated.
- Complete evaluations for faculty as per departmental policy.
- Supervise general surgery residents assigned to the colon and rectal surgery service.
- Assume a supervisory role for medical students.
- Provide verbal feedback about performance to medical students and general surgery residents.
- Complete evaluations of medical students and general surgery residents, as applicable.
- Develop effective time management skills that enable team members to meet the duty hour requirements.
- Provide consultative services.
- Develop a comprehensive approach to self-directed learning based on the resident’s own perceptions of gaps in fund of knowledge as well as the results of objective assessments.
- The resident may have the following additional roles and responsibilities, as appropriate:
- Participation in the educational committees of their department of surgery.
- Participation in departmental Quality Assurance activities.
- Participation in University of Pennsylvania Health System committees requiring housestaff representation.
Return to Policy Manual Table of Contents