Plastic Surgery History
Plastic Surgery at Penn started in the 1930's. Robert Ivy was the first Professor of Plastic Surgery at the University of Pennsylvania, as well as a founding member of the American Board of Plastic Surgery in 1936, and the second editor of the prestigious journal, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. He started much of the organized plastic surgery at Penn, though never developed a formal residency. He spent most of his career at the Graduate Hospital with affiliations at the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia, and at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania. (HUP).
The formal residency started under Henry Royster, who accepted the first resident in 1956, Dr. Herndon Lehr, succeeded him as Chief of Plastic Surgery in 1970. In 1980, Dr. Peter Randall followed Dr. Lehr as Chief, and was subsequently succeeded by Dr. Linton Whitaker in 1987. Throughout its history, the plastic surgery residency at Penn has been identified as one of the highest quality, attracting individuals who have proven to be leaders in plastic surgery. Starting in 1956, there was one resident each year, gradually evolving to three each year for the two years of the residency, or a total of six. One hundred and nine residents have been trained. More than 60% are affiliated with academic programs, and remaining 40% are in private practice. Several have been made chiefs of plastic surgery programs, and several have been members of the American Board of Plastic Surgery, as well as two who were chairmen of the Board.