The William T. Fitts Surgical Education Center was built in 1994 to provide Surgical Medical Residents, Faculty and Students with the means to expand and foster their education.
The William T. Fitts, Jr. Surgical Education Center was named after William T. Fitts, Jr., John Rhea Barton Professor and Chairman of the Department of Surgery from 1972 through 1975.
Dr. Fitts was born in Jackson, Tennessee in 1915. He attended Union College and later studied medicine at theUniversity of Pennsylvania, where he was ranked first in the Class of 1940. His post graduate education was interrupted by World War II, at which time he served as a surgical ward officer in the Affiliated Unit of the University of Pennsylvania, the 20th General Hospital, stationed in the China-Burma-India Theatre. After the war, Dr. Fitts returned to the University to complete his surgical residency, and in 1950 was made an Assistant Professor at Penn.
The facility offers a multitude of textbooks, journals, instructional videos and computer workerstations to broaden the scope of surgical training. The center is located on the 4th floor of the Maloney Building.
The Surgery Education Data Network contains 10 computer workstations in the William T. Fitts Surgical Education Center. These workstations can be used for anything from on-line training to simple web browsing.
Conference Room space is available and has a dedicated PC and an easy to use laptop connection that will allow a presenter the ability to show their presentations on any or all of the (4) 50" Plasmas. It is hardwired with fiber from the Surgical Theatre allowing multiple live surgical images from the Perelman Center ENDO suites, and the Dulles and Ravdin OR's for viewing in the Fitts Education Center.
The Fitts Education Center has a dedicated PC and an easy to use laptop connection that will allow a presenter the ability to show their presentations on any or all of the (4) 50” Plasmas.