Education Goals and Objectives
The Fellow will:
- Engage in the design, development and implementation of surgical training scenarios for gastrointestinal, thoracic, vascular, transplant, trauma, critical care and oncological surgery, including basic and advanced laparoscopic surgery.
- Utilize training tools and environments for simulation-based surgical education, i.e. task trainers, whole patient trainers, simulated patients and simulated ORs.
- Understand and apply measures of objective assessment for technical and team skills during surgical scenarios
- Develop and implement major research and development projects involving simulation-based surgical education, and their relationship to patient-derived outcome measures.
- Acquire skills to enable them to gain expertise in surgical education at a national and international level.
- Have the opportunity to undertake a Masters in Medical Education (MMedEd) at the University of Pennsylvania, focusing upon learning in academic medicine, research and evaluation, technology in education, and educational leadership.