Underrepresented Minority Medical Students
Three funded visiting clerkship positions in the general surgery and general surgery subspecialties will be available at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania (HUP) in Philadelphia, PA from August through October of 2020 for highly qualified applicants from backgrounds underrepresented in medicine.
Funding will include up to $1500 for reimbursement of travel and housing
Each student will be provided a resident or faculty member that will serve as a mentor and advisor
Each student will have the opportunity to meet with the General Surgery Program Director
Students will have the opportunity to speak to a current General Surgery Resident for advice on succeeding during their clerkship
The purpose of this visiting clerkship program is to give students the opportunity to experience the premier general surgery training experience offered at the University of Pennsylvania. Also, this clerkship experience will allow the students an opportunity to form a relationship with current house staff and faculty.
Students will have the opportunity to rotate on one of four 4 week rotations: Hepatobiliary Surgery, Surgical Oncology, General Surgery/Foregut Surgery and Colon Rectal Surgery. Students will be expected to function at the level of an advanced medical student. They will be expected to actively prepare for and participate in morning rounds, attend all available operations and give at least one formal presentation during the course of their rotation. Students will be expected to attending all divisional and departmental conferences during this time.
- Applicants for the funded clerkship must come from backgrounds underrepresented in medicine. UIM students are now considered to be Black/African-American, Hispanic/Latino, or Native American (American Indian, Native Hawaiian, Alaskan Native, mainland Puerto Rican).
- Applicants must:
- Complete the online application form (active starting in February)
- Provide a personal statement discussing career goals
- Provide one letter of recommendation, preferably from a surgical attending
- Provide a curriculum vitae
- Provide an official medical school transcript
- Provide a photograph
- Applications will be reviewed by the Department of Surgery Education Diversity Committee. The application deadline is May 7, 2021.
Applications should be sent to:
Undergraduate Medical Education Coordinator
Department of Surgery Education
3400 Spruce Street
Maloney Building, 4th Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19104