VASCULAR SURGERY and
|Overall Educational Goals
|PGY7 - PPMC Vascular Surgery
- Patient Care
- To develop the judgment with which to evaluate and treat patients with vascular disease at the level of a board certified specialist.
- Fully capable in in-patient and out-patient evaluations of the management of patients.
- To attain competence in the operative and non-operative treatment of patients with vascular disease.
- Full operative case load to meet ACGME requirements as far as numbers and depth.
- Residents will become fully trained in venous interventions including minimally invasive techniques for treatment of venous pathologies
- Medical Knowledge
- To attain competence in both endovascular and open vascular procedures, including the appropriate preprocedural evaluation, procedural conduct and post procedural care and follow-up of the patients. This is to include the judgment and skill needed to discern what course of care would be best for each patient, including non-operative therapy.
- Full understanding of both vascular basic science and clinical medicine
- Residents will fully comprehend indications for interventions in venous disease as well as options for different treatment alternatives.
- Practice Based Learning and Improvement
- Demonstrate ability to implement and simulate what has been learned during fellow’s daily practice.
- Develop a pattern of continual education to keep abreast of the developments and improvements in our field to maintain delivery of state of the art care.
- Facilitate learning of students, residents and other health care professionals.
- To have a familiarity with the noninvasive vascular laboratory and understand and be able to use the studies provided there for clinical use.
- Interpersonal and Communication Skills
- To communicate and work effectively with all health care providers and hospital employees.
- To be able to communicate information to the patient and family effectively.
- To demonstrate compassion and respect for patient and family.
- To uphold patients’ privacy and rights.
- To perform under the highest ethical standards.
- Demonstrate sensitivity and responsiveness to patients’ culture, age, gender, and disabilities.
- System-Based Practice
- Demonstrate the ability to work and navigate through all hospital systems.
- Practice cost-effective health care and resource allocation that does not compromise quality care.
- Demonstrate the ability to work effectively with other hospital employees.
- Understand how patient care and other professional practices affect other health care professionals, the health care organization.