Evgeniy B. Eruslanov, PhD
Ongoing Research Support
Dr. Eruslanov’s group focuses on understanding how tumor-associated neutrophils (TAN) and macrophages (TAM) are integrated in the regulation of effector mechanisms of the innate and adaptive immune systems in lung cancer patients. In close collaboration with Dr. Sunil Singhal and Dr. Steven M. Albelda, our team is currently investigating the:
- Regulation of the T cell response by TAN subpopulations
- Differentiation and polarization of immature neutrophils in the tumor microenvironment using the novel in vitro model of long-lived human bone marrow neutrophils
- Neutrophil-mediated cytotoxicity to tumor cells
- Phenotypic and functional characteristics of TAM
The impact of our work lies in developing a fundamental understanding of how intratumoral neutrophils and macrophages are linked to the biology of human lung cancers. Understanding how to steer the phenotype of TANs and TAMs towards anti-tumor effector cells will open new therapeutic options in the future design of active immunotherapy to enhance current cancer treatments.
Research Publications, Peer Reviewed
- Lyadova IV, Eruslanov EB, Yeremeev VV, Majorov KB, Nikonenko BV, Pichugin, AV, Khaidukov SV, Kondratieva TK, Apt AS. Comparative analysis of T lymphocytes recovered from the lungs of mice genetically susceptible, resistant and hyperresistant to mycobacterium tuberculosis-triggered disease. Journal of Immunology 165(10):5921-5931, Nov. 15, 2000.
- Lyadova IV, Vordermeier HM, Eruslanov EB, Khaidukov SV, Apt AS, Hewinson RG. Intranasal BCG vaccination protects BALB/c mice against virulent mycobacterium bovis and accelerates production of IFN-γ in their lungs. Clinical & Experimental Immunology 126(2):274-279, Nov. 2001.
- Majorov KB, Lyadova IV, Kondratieva TK, Eruslanov EB, Rubakova EI, Orlova MO, Mischenko VV, Apt AS. Different innate ability of I/St and A/Sn mice to combat virulent M. tuberculosis: phenotypes expressed in lung and extrapulmonary macrophages. Infections & Immunity 71(2):697-707, Feb. 2003.
- Eruslanov EB, Majorov KB, Orlova MO, Mischenko VV, Kondratieva TK, Apt AS. Lyadova IV. Lung cell responses to M. tuberculosis in genetically susceptible and resistant mice following intratracheal challenge. Clinical & Experimental Immunology 135(1):19-28, Jan. 2004.
- Mischenko VV, Kapina MA, Eruslanov EB, Kondratieva EV, Lyadova IV, Young DB, Apt AS. Mycobacterial dissemination and cellular responses after 1-lobe restricted tuberculosis infection of genetically susceptible and resistant mice. Journal of Infectious Diseases 190(12):2137-2145, Dec. 15, 2004.
- Eruslanov EB, Lyadova IV, Kondratieva TK, Majorov, KB, Scheglov IV, Orlova MO, Apt AS. Neutrophil responses to mycobacterium tuberculosis infection in genetically susceptible and resistant mice. Infection and Immunity 73(3):1744-1753, Mar. 2005.
- Majorov KB, Eruslanov EB, Rubakova EI, Kondratieva TK, Apt AS. Analysis of cellular phenotypes that mediate genetic resistance to tuberculosis using a radiation bone marrow chimera approach. Infection and Immunity 73(9):6174-6178, Sept. 2005.
- Orlova MO, Majorov KB, Laydova IV, Eruslanov EB, M’lan CE, Greenwood CM, Shurr E, Apt AS. Constitutive differences in gene expression profiles parallel genetic patterns of susceptibility to tuberculosis in mice. Infection and Immunity 74(6):3668-3672, June 2006.
- Yan BS, Pichugin AV, Jobe O, Helming L, Eruslanov EB, Gutierrez-Pabello JA, Rojas M, Shebzukhov YV, Kobzik L, Kramnik I. Progression of pulmonary tuberculosis and efficiency of bacillus calmette-guerin vaccination are genetically controlled via a common sst1-mediated mechanism of innate immunity. Journal of Immunology 179(10):6919-6932, Nov. 15, 2007.
- Pan H, Mostoslavky G, Eruslanov E, Kotton DN, Kramnik I. Dual-promoter lentiviral system allows inducible expression of noxious proteins in macrophages. Journal of Immunological Methods 329(1-2):31-34, Jan. 1, 2008.
- Kusmartsev S, Eruslanov E, Kübler H, Tseng T, Sakai Y, Su Z, Kaliberov S, Rosser C, Dahm P, Siemann D, Vieweg J. Oxidative stress regulates expression of VEGFR1 in myeloid cells: Link to tumor-induced immune suppression in renal cell carcinoma. Journal of Immunology 181(1):346-353, July 1, 2008.
- Kusmartsev S, Su Z, Heiser A, Dannull J, Eruslanov E, Kübler H, Yancey D, Dahm P, Vieweg J. Reversal of myeloid cell-mediated immunosuppression in patients with metastatic renal cell carcinoma. Clinical Cancer Research 14(24):8270-8278, Dec. 15, 2008.
- Sakai Y, Goodison S, Kusmartsev S, Fletcher B, Eruslanov E, Cao W, Porvasnik S, Namiki K, Anai S, Rosser CJ. Bcl-2 mediated modulation of vascularization in prostate cancer xenografts. Prostate 69(5):459-470, Apr. 1, 2009.
- Eruslanov E, Kaliberov S, Daurkina I, Kaliberova L, Buchsbaum D, Vieweg J, Kusmartsev S. Altered expression of 15-prostaglandin dehydrogenase in intra-tumoral CD11b myeloid cells: A new mechanism of immune evasion in cancer. Journal of Immunology 182(12):7548-7557, June 15, 2009.
- Sakamoto N, Porvasnik S, Kusmartsev S, Eruslanov E, Cao W, Urbanek C, Rosser CJ. Effects of CXCR4 antagonist CTCE-9908 on prostate tumor growth. Prostate 69(13):1460-1469, July 8, 2009.
- Porvasnik S. Sakamoto N. Kusmartsev S. Eruslanov E. Kim WJ. Cao W. Urbanek C. Wong D. Goodison S. Rosser CJ. Effects of CXCR4 antagonist CTCE-9908 on prostate tumor growth. Prostate 69(13):1460-1469, Sept. 15, 2009.
- Glushakova LG, Lisankie MJ, Eruslanov EB, Ojano-Dirain C, Zolotukhin I, Liu C, Srivastava A, Stacpoole PW. AAV3-mediated transfer and expression of the pyruvate dehydrogenase E1 alpha subunit gene causes metabolic remodeling and apoptosis of human liver cancer cells. Molecular Genetics & Metabolism 98(3):289-299, Nov. 2009.
- Daurkin I, Eruslanov E, Vieweg J, Kusmartsev S. Generation of antigen-presenting cells from tumor-infiltrated CD11b myeloid cells with DNA demethylating agent 5-aza-2'-deoxycytidine. Cancer Immunology & Immunotherapy 59(5):697-706, May 2010.
- Eruslanov E, Daurkin I, Ortiz J, Vieweg J, Kusmartsev S. Pivotal advance:Tumor mediated induction myeloid-derived suppressor cells and M2-polarized macrophage by altering intracellular PGE2 metabolism in myeloid cells. Journal of Leukocyte Biology 88(5):839-848, Nov. 2010.
- Eruslanov E, Daurkin I, Vieweg J, Daaka Y, Kusmartsev S. Aberrant PGE2 metabolism in bladder tumor microenvironment promotes immunosuppressive phenotype of tumor-infiltrating myeloid cells. International Immunopharmacology 11(7):845-852, July 2011.
- Daurkin I,* Eruslanov E* (*equally contributed), Stoffs T, Perrin GQ, Algood C, Gilbert SM, Rosser CJ, Su LM, Vieweg J, and Kusmartsev S. Tumor-associated macrophages mediate immune suppression in the renal cancer microenvironment by activating the 15-lipoxygenase-2 pathway. Cancer Research 71(20):6400-6409, Oct. 15, 2011.
- Eruslanov E, Neuberger M, Daurkin I, Rosser C, Perrin G, Algood C, Dahm P, Vieweg J, Gilbert S, Kusmartsev S. Circulating and tumor-infiltrating myeloid cell subsets in patients with bladder cancer. International Journal of Cancer 130(5):1109-1119, Mar. 1, 2012.
- Predina J, Eruslanov E, Judy B, Kapoor V, Cheng G, Wang LC, Sun J, Moon EK, Fridlender ZG, Albelda S, Singhal S. Changes in the local tumor microenvironment in recurrent cancers may explain the failure of vaccines after surgery. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA 110(5):E415-424, Jan. 29, 2013 (Epub Dec. 27, 2012).
- Eruslanov E, Stoffs T, Kim W, Daurkin I, Gilbert S, Su LM, Vieweg J, Daaka Y, Kusmartsev S. Expansion of CCR8+ inflammatory myeloid cells in cancer patients with uro-thelial and renal carcinomas. Clinical Cancer Research 19(7):1670-1680, Apr. 1, 2013 (Epub Jan. 30, 2013).
Reviews in Peer Reviewed Research Publications
- Quatromoni JG, Eruslanov E. Tumor-associated macrophages: function, phenotype, and link to prognosis in human lung cancer. [Review] American Journal of Translational Research 4(4):376-389, 2012 (Epub Oct. 10, 2012).
Editorials, Chapters, Case Reports & Participation in Committee Reports
- Eruslanov E. Kusmartsev S. Identification of ROS using oxidized DCFDA and flow cytometry. Part I, Chap. 4 in Walker JM (ed.) and Armstrong DD (vol. ed.): Methods in Molecular Biology: Advanced Protocol in Oxidative Stress II. New York: Humana Press/ Springer, Vol. 594, 2010, 57-72.
- Kusmartsev S, Kaliberov S, Eruslanov E, Vieweg J. Tumor Growth Inhibition Via Conditioning of Tumor Microenvironment. Serial No. 61/041,106.