penn surgery
penn surgery home penn surgery clinical penn surgery education penn surgery research penn surgery administration
 

Penn Surgery ResearchRESEARCH

The research arm of the Department of Surgery, referred to as the Harrison Department of Surgical Research, was created in 1936 when the University of Pennsylvania, Department of Surgery, received a large sum from the Estate of George L. and Emily McMichael Harrison to provide funding for departmental laboratories and for much of the research done in these laboratories.

Most of the Department's research takes place in approximately 19,500 square feet of research space, the majority of which (13,085) is on the 3rd floor of the Edward J. Stemmler Hall. This space is conveniently located adjacent to the HUP operating room suite. In addition, a small amount of research space is located on the 7th floor of the Richards Building and in the hospital. Members of the Pediatric and Plastic Divisions have research space at CHOP and several surgical investigators have research space in the Institute of Gene Therapy and at the VAMC.

 

footer

penn medicine