Hospital and the University of Pennsylvania, both leaders in
health care since before the founding of the United States, agree
to merge. The final agreement was approved in June 1997; the
two institutions officially merge in October 1997.
The history of the two institutions dates back to the 1700s.
Pennsylvania Hospital was founded in 1751 by Benjamin Franklin
and Dr. Thomas Bond. In 1740, Franklin founded an eductional
institution that would later become the University of Pennsylvania.
The University opened the nation's first medical school in 1765,
and in 1766 Dr. Bond formalized clinical instruction with Pennsylvania
Hospital serving as a site for lectures and training of Penn
Resident physicians committed between four
and five years to Pennsylvania Hospital as apprentices while
they worked toward receiving their medical degrees from the
University of Pennsylvania (then known as The Medical School
of the College
of Philadelphia). Pennsylvania Hospital has had some form of
relationship with the University of Pennsylvania since that
time, sometimes formal and sometimes informal.
to 1951 - Today